TheMHS Media Awards
The Mental Health Service Awards of Australia and New Zealand.
Promoting and rewarding excellence and accuracy of media coverage about mental health.
With the financial support of the Australian and New Zealand governments, we are pleased to seek entries from Australia and New Zealand for entries in 2 Media Award Categories.
Entries should reflect non-stigmatising attitudes towards mental health and be constructive in supporting the understanding of mental health matters.
- Applications open early December 2016
- Applications close 26 April 2017
- Entry submission available at the end of ‘Application Instructions’ page.
- Please read ‘Rules and Scoring’ and ‘Application Instructions’ before preparing your entry.
2017 Award Categories
Text Journalism Award
For an article or series of articles on topics related to mental health or mental illness. This includes newspaper and magazine articles, online articles and blogs.
Vision/Sound Journalism Award
For a program, program segment or series of programs/segments relating to mental health or mental illness (including television drama). The entry must be ‘broadcast’ either on radio, TV or online. Material prepared for conferences/workshops should be submitted in a category within the Service Awards.
Special Media Journalism Award
Selected from the above two categories and awarded at the discretion of the judging panels, this award is for an entry with an outstanding regional/rural/community or other focus. It is usually awarded to the work of journalists from media outlets with a relatively smaller distribution than the national media.
The aim of the Media Awards is to encourage accurate and sensitive media coverage about mental health. Entries should reflect non-stigmatising attitudes towards mental health and not just dwell on illness.
The time frame for an award entry is 13 months prior to closing date, i.e. 1 April 2016 to 27 April 2017.
Highly commended entries receive a Letter of Commendation. These are not presented on stage but will be listed in the Awards booklet.
The Award presentation will be part of TheMHS Conference 2017 in Sydney, Australia.
The winners in each category will receive*:
- A4 Display Certificate
- TheMHS Media Awards framable certificate
- Complimentary one day conference registration
- Financial support to attend the 2017 TheMHS Conference in Sydney, Australia (travel/accommodation/ per diem)
- Economy airfares to and from the host city (booking as agreed by TheMHS). Travel within Australia and/or New Zealand only.
- Accommodation for 2 nights (booking as agreed by TheMHS)
- Per diem of $250 towards expenses during conference attendance
- Dedicated Media Profile Panel session at TheMHS Conference
- Take part in a showcase of Award winners in a dedicated panel session within the conference program.
- Recognition on TheMHS Learning Network website, Conference e-Book of Proceedings, TheMHS Awards booklet and the Online Resource Collection
- If the Award winner is unable to attend the Sydney conference, consideration may be given to transfer some of the above prize benefits to TheMHS Summer Forum in Sydney, February 2018.
*Contingent on funding
* Prize benefits are non-transferable
In the event of joint winners the prizes may be shared.
All enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
When reporting on a mental health story, please be mindful of recommended journalistic practices especially regarding the reporting of suicide. Refer to the Mindframe guidelines and the Mental Health Foundation of New Zealand guidelines.
Additional useful background information is available on the Associated Press website.
Past Award Winners
Visit our Awards Archive to see the past Media Award Winners.