Event: 2013 TheMHS Awards
Subject: Exceptional Contribution, New Zealand advocacy
Type of resource: TheMHS Awards
Award level: Winner
Award category: Exceptional Contribution to Mental Health Services in Australia or New Zealand
Abstract: Anne Helm has worked tirelessly to highlight psychiatric abuse and advocate for change within mental health services in New Zealand. Anne has been at the forefront of the consumer movement in New Zealand for over thirty years and remains as passionate about the issues today, devoting time and energy to the cause of recovery and resolving issues from the past.
Anne’s work includes:
• Panel member of the Confidential Forum for Former Inpatients of Psychiatric Hospitals established by the New Zealand Government.
• Subsequent advocacy for a government response to the Forum findings including appearing in the Mental Notes
• Advocacy and advisory work at local and national level
• Work to promote the elimination of seclusion within mental health services in New Zealand.
• Mentoring and supporting the next generation of consumers
This award represents our deep respect for an exceptional contribution, the results of which will flow on to enhance the mental health and wellbeing of all.