About the Tom Trauer Evaluation and Research Award
Launched in 2014, this award recognises an Australian or New Zealand person or research team for excellence in their work in research or evaluation of mental health services and programs. For example it would suit a middle career candidate.
- Mid to senior level researchers or service providers
- Managers of an NGO
- Anyone doing evaluation
- Individual or lead researcher
The award celebrates Tom’s substantial and generous contributions to mental health services research over many years. The award has been inaugurated by TheMHS in order to encourage and recognise excellence in research related to mental health services and programs.
Thank you for your interest in TheMHS Awards. We value your Awards entry greatly.
Before lodging your entry please ensure that:
- You have read the “Lodging your entry” instructions below,
- You meet the relevant “Entry Rules and Scoring” below,
- You have read and followed the “Preparing your entry” instructions below.
If you experience any difficulties, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone +61(2) 9810 8700
Rules and Scoring
- Service/project entered in one category only.
- Different parts of a larger organisation may enter different categories.
- Previous winning entries can reapply after one year has elapsed (i.e. if awarded in 2018, cannot reapply until 2020) on the condition that there is documented evidence of significant development or change
Judges have the right not to accept an entry which in their opinion does not comply with the requirements of TheMHS Awards program. The judges’ decision will be final. TheMHS Awards Committee reserves the right to withdraw a TheMHS Award if it later finds the entrant did not comply with the entry conditions.
TheMHS Awards program is a peer review process, based on information supplied.
In each of the assessment panels we strive to create a balance of types of experience and backgrounds. The aim is to achieve panels with an overview of excellence in specific areas of mental health practice with representatives from across Australia and New Zealand.
In general the assessors will be looking to give awards to entries with research that is consistent with the national policies and plans of Australia and New Zealand respectively, within the constraints of resources available.
The judges will mark against the published criteria for the Tom Trauer Award. These should be addressed as headings in the Entry Part B. See Application Instructions.
- Evidence of contribution to, or potential impact on, mental health service improvement
- Evidence of research excellence
- Evidence of participation of mental health consumers, in the planning, implementation and evaluation as relevant.
- Evidence of Partnerships and Linkages (collaboration for continuity between organisations).
- Verification and Evaluation of the research effectiveness in achieving the goals of the investigation.
Lodging Your Entry
The Entry has a Part A and a Part B. You will need to create an account and log in. To lodge your entry, first register your details by clicking on “Update Details”. Next, click on “Part A Submission’ and follow the prompts to complete Part A.
After Saving a Draft or Submitting Part A you will be able to access Part B. You can submit Part A and Part B separately. You just need to use the link and your unique Sign In details. You can move between previous screens using the back and forwards arrow at the top of the computer screen or the tabs at the top of the page. To access a saved draft or view a submitted Entry, select the View/Edit Part A or View/Edit Part B tab.
Thank you for your interest in TheMHS Awards. We value your Awards entry greatly!
Preparing Your Entry
Part A – Submit Online
Have your organisational and contact details ready. You will need to prepare a short summary of your entry (150 words maximum) and a short Organisation Summary (150 words maximum).
These summaries will be used in the judging process. The summaries of winning entries will also be published in the Awards booklet.
Part B – Submit Online
Prepare Part B according to the following instructions and have ready to submit as a single pdf file.
- Address the award criteria (below) – Up to 10 x A4 pages in total may be submitted
1. Evidence of contribution to, or potential impact on, mental health service improvement
2. Evidence of research excellence
3. Evidence of participation of mental health consumers, in the planning, implementation and evaluation as relevant.
4. Evidence of Partnerships and Linkages (collaboration for continuity between organisations).
5. Verification and Evaluation of the research effectiveness in achieving the goals of the investigation.
- Additional information about the entry – up to 1 x A4 page
- Conclusion – an extra 1/2 Page.
- Referees: Nominate two referees.
- An Appendix of Support Material of up to 8 x A4 pages may be included.